Vision and Mission:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is not only valued and demonstrated in our hiring practices, it is a fundamental part of our mission throughout our organization and the communities we serve.
Purpose of Position:
The Accounting Specialist will process financial transactions (i.e. pledges, contributor designations, receivable payments, disbursements to agencies and vendors, general ledger accounts and functional distribution of expenses) to maintain accurate financial data. It is essential to value customers and cooperate productively with other team members seeking ways to improve quality and productivity. Extreme attention to confidentiality and accuracy is critical.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Process transactions for all campaign accounts (corporate, employee and individual) for the purpose of recording pledges receivable, contributor designations, company and individual leadership awards, and affinity group participation
- Post pledge payments to the company and individual accounts, by pledge year, and process miscellaneous income activity. Reconcile campaign subsystem to general ledger
- Support temporary staff for campaign processing and collaborate on the work flow to insure accuracy and efficiency
- Work with Grant and Donor Manager to communicate with contributors, agencies and company representatives regarding pledges, payments, designations, allocations, and acknowledgement of gifts. Prepare monthly reminder statements, and balancing of subsystems
- Maintain agency information, such as address tax exempt status and patriot act compliance and Agency Portal access
- Process recurring general ledger entries for distribution of expenses
- Prepare assigned account reconciliation and propose correcting entries for review and approval
- Prepare monthly budget reports for budget managers and research/resolve budget questions
- Assist with the annual audit and on-going review and improvement of procedures
Experience / Position Requirements:
- High School diploma or equivalent (i.e., GED) required
- Minimum of two years accounting experience demonstrating a clear understanding of all areas of bookkeeping and general ledger entries preferred
- Ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision and recommendations to prioritize work and outline steps necessary to complete a project
- Proven ability to work on several on-going projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated experience with assignments requiring close attention to details
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately
- Ability to work under pressure, i.e., fluctuations of work load due to deadlines
- Skills requirement: Key Board and 10 Key by Touch
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel for Windows
- Experience with StratusLIVE CRM and Microsoft Serenic Navigator, or similar product, is desirable
Core Competencies Required:
- Mission Focused: Provides leadership, resources and focus to change lives in our community by creating sustainable improvements in education, income and health.
- Relationship Oriented: Places people before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator (Includes teamwork and communication): Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial & human) through meaningful engagement. Strong supporter of a team environment. Presents information in a professional, accurate & effective manner.
- Results Driven: Dedicates efforts to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Fosters and supports principles of the organization and protects reputation and results of the greater network.
General Physical Requirements for Essential Functions of the Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen. The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment.
This description is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of all team members assigned to this position. It is intended only to describe the key elements relative to each section. Also, duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added or deleted at any time. This supersedes all descriptions previously written for the same position. Unique equivalent skills and experience may possibly substitute for required position requirements.
United Way of Northeast Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Environment.