At the heart of our work is ensuring the safety net by providing life-saving services to meet our neighbors’ most basic needs, like food and shelter.
We are here to support families and individuals when they are going through crises, like job loss, domestic violence and natural disasters.
And, we create a pathway to self-sufficiency and success for our neighbors and our community. We provide the tools, resources and education for families to achieve financial stability and independence, for children to succeed in school and in life and for veterans to rebuild their lives after returning from service.
Every day of the year, 24-hours a day, we are the voice of help and hope for those who call our 2-1-1 Texas/United Way HELPLINE.
And, we bring stakeholders and our community together to address the most pressing needs in our area, improving the quality of life for everyone in our region. We do it all strategically, transparently and with a focus on results.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Manager is an experienced accounting professional, functioning independently and acting as back up to various functions within the accounting department. Major responsibilities include (a) oversight of all functions related to general and property accounting, accounts receivable and payable accounting, (b) monthly financial reporting, (c) preparation of the annual operating and capital budgets for accounting, (d) tracking of adherence to the accounting operating and capital budgets throughout the year, (e) supervision of general accounting staff, and (f) other special projects as required. Role requires knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles generally and specifically as they relate to Not-for-Profit entities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Manages and oversees the maintenance of the financial records of United Way of Greater Houston (“UWGH”). Supervises general accounting staff. Reviews and/or prepares journal entries, accounts payable, accounts receivable, and financial statements. Ensures the correct, accurate and timely accounting classification and proper documentation of all expenditures. Ensures that internal control is in place and operating effectively.
- Provides oversight and monitoring of the disbursement of semi-monthly funding to UWGH member agencies and of the disbursement of Initiatives funding (e.g. Community Initiatives, Community Response, Flexible Funding Initiatives, etc.), and ensures reconciliation with accounting records.
- Provides the Controller and others in senior management with financial information necessary for developing forecasts and financial plans. Provides advice and counsel on financial matters to the managers of other departments. Provides advice and counsel to the Manager of Campaign Processing and Manager of Finance.
- Directs work paper preparation and provides counsel and support for the external audit of UWGH.
- Development of the annual operating and capital budgets for the Accounting Dept. Monitors adherence to the approved budget throughout the fiscal year.
- Provides oversight in the preparation of the annual tax filings (e.g. Form 990, Forms 1099-MISC) for UWGH.
- Performs additional duties and other special projects as requested by the Controller and others in senior management.
5 years: Professional experience in not-for-profit accounting, finance, audit or similar business activities. Plus, a minimum of three (3) years experience in supervision and management with strong interpersonal and leadership skills. CPA desirable, but not required.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.