United Way of Northeast Florida Position Description
Position Title: Accounting Assistant II
Reports to: Vice President, Finance
Reviewed: February, 2021 FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Vision and Mission:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is not only valued and demonstrated in our hiring practices, it is a fundamental part of our mission throughout our organization and the communities we serve.
Purpose of Position:
The Accounting Assistant will provide administrative assistance to the organization’s VP of Finance. This role differs from general administrative employees in that they also perform accounting functions. The Accounting Administrative Assistant will promote the financial health of the organization and help the VP of finance manage their workload.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
- Support duties related to accounts payable and accounts receivable functions.
- Assist with preparation of financial and statistical statements and reports.
- Analyze financial information in order to identify discrepancies.
- Basic office administrative tasks, managing tasks including filing, printing, reporting, emailing, etc.
- Assist in recording and processing all financial and accounting practices, including profit and loss reports.
- Maintain office accounting needs.
- Prepare deposits, processing payments, and creating financial reports.
- Assist with the budget planning, preparing and submitting tax forms.
- Maintain financial databases and spreadsheets.
- Develop agendas, records minutes, as well other tasks to assist VP in preparation for audit committee meetings, board meetings, and team/department meetings.
- Schedule client appointments and managing important department deadlines.
Experience / Position Requirements:
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent, AA or BA degree a plus
- 3-5 years of experience as a proven successful accounting assistant in a fast paced environment
- Excellent organizational, time management and communication skills
- Self-motivated and able to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, and goal-oriented environment
- Ability to effectively work in virtual and office environments
- Proficient in MS Office, Excel, databases and accounting software
- Working knowledge of basic bookkeeping
- Strong interpersonal, adaptability, and flexibility skills
Professional Core Competencies Required:
- Mission Focused: Creates real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship Oriented: Places people before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator (Includes teamwork and communication): Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial & human) through meaningful engagement. Strong supporter of a team environment.
- Results Driven: Dedicates efforts to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Understands role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
General Physical Requirements for Essential Functions of the Job:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, and/or hear. Continual use of the hands with wrist and finger movement using a keyboard is required. Specific vision abilities required by this job include long hours viewing a computer monitor screen. The employee may occasionally travel using personal vehicle and/or work outside normal office environment.
This description is not designed to contain a comprehensive inventory of all responsibilities and qualifications required of all team members assigned to this position. It is intended only to describe the key elements relative to each section. Also, duties and/or requirements of this position may be modified, added or deleted at any time. This supersedes all descriptions previously written for the same position. Unique equivalent skills and experience may possibly substitute for required position requirements.
United Way of Northeast Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Work Environment.