For over 100 years, United Way of Greater Houston has brought together diverse partners and approaches to get to the root of complex challenges holding people back.
We are a driving force for good that connects our neighbors to opportunities to thrive. We help our neighbors achieve financial stability, support families and youth with physical and behavioral health and educational services along the way, and provide the safety net that catches the most vulnerable.
And, we manage every gift with care - shepherding your donation to make the greatest impact in the place we call home.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Under limited supervision and on own initiative, ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, and entering transactions. Responsible for performing a variety of accounting and reporting functions including, but not limited to, preparing bank deposits, maintaining agency and trade receivable general ledger accounts, processing semi-monthly allocations to agencies, reconciling bank and pledge and other receivables accounts, and posting cash receipts to the general ledger. Position is also responsible for preparing and analyzing monthly financial reports. Maintains database of donors for IRS substantiation letters. Provide back up for Accounting Analyst I-Payables and to other members of the Accounting Team. Performs special projects as assigned.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Maintains and reconciles on a monthly basis all non-payroll and agency and trade receivable general ledger accounts. Performs analysis of due to/due from accounts and entry of journal entries into the general ledger, including research and support for unreconciled balances between SalesForce and FinancialEdge accounting systems. Reconciles all non-payroll bank accounts on a monthly basis, including the complex master account. Researches and provides support for unreconciled items, including undeposited and outstanding checks.
- Codes all cash receipts and posts data to the general ledger. Prepares the daily bank deposits and delivers deposits to the bank. Coordinates Daily Cash Flow analysis with communications to the Financial Manager.
- Prepares and provides analysis of monthly internal financial reporting. Performs additional duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Sr. Director of Accounting and Controller, and the VP responsible for Finance operations.
Bachelors or better in Accounting or related field.
2-5 years: Experience in all aspects of general accounting (non-profit accounting is a plus); Knowledge of not for profit GAAP accounting principles; Experience in financial reporting and report preparation and analysis.
Office and remote work required during COVID-19.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.