Job Title: Account Executive
Reporting to: Sr. Director of Development
Department: Resource Development & Marketing
Exempt or Non-exempt: Exempt
Classification: Full-time, Seasonal: July 1, 2021 – December 17, 2021 (remote work not available)
Pay Rate: $15/hour
Location(s): Newport News, VA; Yorktown, VA; and throughout our entire service area
UWVP Success Equation
Convene & Collaborate + Invest & Resource + Advocate
Overall Purpose of this Role:
The Account Executive (AE) serves a vital role internally and across the Virginia peninsula community as a part of a “one team” model. This position works with United Way of the Virginia Peninsula’s staff, volunteers, and campaign coordinators, to successfully plan and implement workplace campaigns. AE’s serve as United Way representatives and spokespersons in delivering the United Way message and conveying the needs of the community to encourage individual contributions, advocacy, and community involvement. By developing and deepening relationships with key community partners and through servant leadership, our Account Executives raise resources to advance United Way’s mission of ending poverty in our community.
- Develops and nurtures strategic relationships with United Way staff, volunteers and campaign coordinators, providing the highest standards of customer service and professionalism.
- Manages multiple accounts and campaigns alongside staff and partners, while working independently to meet deadlines.
- Provides engaging presentations to large and small audiences (in-person and/or virtually), educating employees about United Way of the Virginia Peninsula
- Models kindness with internal and external customers, upholding United Way’s commitment to equity and unity
- Understands and consistently practices responsiveness and accountability to all customers
- Adapts to changing priorities
- Primary responsibilities include applying leadership, fundraising, project management and teamwork skills to consult with and assist local employers to plan and implement successful United Way fundraising campaigns. Facilitate all aspects of workplace campaigns executed face to face, through the mail, or virtually.
- Work primarily with campaign coordinators to assist in planning and conducting effective campaigns among their executive and employee groups. This includes, but is not limited to, training campaign coordinators, providing accounts with campaign materials and making presentations to employee groups.
- Actively participate in Leadership and kickoff events, workshops, and other volunteer and fundraising activities as requested. Acquire an understanding of the work and value of United Way of the Virginia Peninsula and its partner agencies to give compelling presentations that inspire individuals to support United Way’s mission.
- Schedule partner agency speaker(s) and coordinate volunteer activities as requested
- Deliver and pick-up materials where needed for workplace campaigns. Collect and account for pledge forms and donations.
- Promote fundraising goals established by Resource Development and corporate partners, and provide an evaluation with recommendations for each assigned account to identify future opportunities
- Maintain records for assigned accounts including results and campaign activities. Document all interactions in Salesforce (UWVP CRM).
- Attend all related campaign meetings/functions, including UWVP’s annual Day of Caring, and activities with our membership groups (The Emerging Leaders Society, Women United).
- Collaborate with other departments as necessary to provide year-round engagement opportunities for companies.
- Assist in administrative work as needed, including answering main line phones, data entry, and sending acknowledgement letters.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- Fundraising / Relationship Building skills: including new account research, preparing, and conducting presentations and development of strategies to understand donor/company objectives and communicate the United Way story to CEOs, campaign coordinators, and employee groups to grow participation and campaign contributions.
- Project Management skills: including prioritizing, goal setting, and projecting outcome through account management, resource utilization, campaign activity levels. Goal and results oriented are a must. Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple projects and deliver high quality, accurate products while operating in a fast paced, deadline-oriented environment.
- Technical Skills: including using Microsoft Office, social media, and video conferencing software/platforms. Understands and analyzes CRM data to develop key strategies for revenue generating opportunities
- Communication skills: including the ability to engage and speak to a diverse audience. Strong interpersonal skills including public speaking and writing as well as some experience in creating content for social media.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule outside of standard office hours, including weekends as needed
- Must be able to maintain confidential and sensitive information
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree with some experience in fundraising/sales or 4+ years related professional experience
- Experience working with volunteers. Preferred professional/leadership experience in the nonprofit sector
- Or, a comparable combination of education and work experience.
- Valid driver’s license, automobile insurance, and reliable transportation
- Ability to be up and moving around for long periods of time, up to 8+ hours a day for events and independently complete event set up that may require moving up to 30 pounds.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
To successfully perform the essential functions of this job, the employee will:
- Engage in ongoing communication in-person as well as through electronic means.
- Regularly use computer laptop, webcam, desk phone, and mobile phone.
- Work in a shared office space
- Frequently sit and/or move throughout the office, travel to offsite meetings and events across the Virginia Peninsula service area
Our mission as the United Way of the Virginia Peninsula is to improve the quality of life for people in our community by helping them live their best possible lives. United Way fights for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in our community.
We do this by finding new SOLUTIONS to old problems.
...By forging unlikely PARTNERSHIPS.
...By mobilizing the best RESOURCES.
...By INSPIRING individuals to join the fight.
...By LIVING UNITED.
United Way of the Virginia Peninsula Equity Statement
"We believe that equity is the guiding principle of OUR work and the reason WE exist. By acknowledging the impacts of generational poverty and the historical precedent of racism, bias, and gender inequality, WE are empowered to focus OUR resources and influence on addressing the root causes of poverty and ensuring access to services and economic mobility for ALL."