United Way of Brevard, Florida (UWB) was established in 1957 by a group of concerned individuals who wanted to help those who were in need. Our work focuses on the building blocks of a good life – Education, Income and Health. Our community wins when kids succeed in school, adults can secure a good job, manage their finances, and provide a healthy environment for their families. Together, the contributions of thousands of individual donors become a force for change in the community.
The Affordable Care Act Navigator is responsible for the delivery of direct assistance to Brevard community members needing to access Public Health Insurance. The position reports to the Manager Community Impact Health and Financial Stability and assists in the delivery of programs with feedback, input and direction from the Vice President for Community Impact and the United Way President.
- Meet directly with clients to establish eligibility for Public Health Insurance programs.
- Review documentation and accurately enter information onto eligibility program based upon documentation provided.
- Complete initial training and certification to become ACA Navigator and attend continuing education to maintain certification.
- Maintain a professional demeanor regardless of the client interaction.
- Ensure that space is reserved in advance at designated worksites in the community.
- Schedule clients for eligibility determination in an orderly and timely manner.
- Ensure that data for all activities is reflected in ACA database.
- Promote the spirit and philosophy of United Way while maintaining the highest level of ethical standards.
- Must be able to perform this position safely, without endangering the health or safety to themselves or others.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Environment, Physical Activity, and Mental Demands
- The environment for this position is in the community at designated worksites in community centers, libraries, and other places where the public meets.
- The position is in a non-confined office-type setting in which the individual is free to move about at will and may include some minor annoyances such as noise, odors, drafts, etc.
- In the course of performing this position you will spend time writing, typing, speaking, listening, lifting (up to 50 pounds or more), carrying, seeing (such as close, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and adjusted focus), sitting, pulling, walking, standing, squatting, kneeling and reaching.
- The individual for this position may operate any or all of the following: automobile, telephone, cellular telephone, beeper, copy, fax machines, calculator, typewriter, personal computer, related printers and office equipment specific to communication functions.
- The individual in this position must be able to read and interpret documents or instruments; perform highly detailed work; perform mathematical functions; withstand stress; and handle multiple, concurrent tasks and constant interruptions.
These specifications are general guidelines based on the minimum experience normally considered essential to the satisfactory performance of this position. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to perform the position in a satisfactory manner. Individual abilities may result in some deviation from these guidelines.
- Bachelor’s degree in health, human services, finance, or related field. Equivalent work experience accepted in lieu of a degree.
- At least 2 years of experience with financial reporting, budgeting, grants management, and successful public relations.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Attention to detail a must. Must have demonstrated ability review and enter accurate data to determine eligibility for public health programs.
- Ability to work with little supervision while performing duties.
- Intermediate skills in personal computer operation, including word-processing, spreadsheet and related software programs.
- Exceptional oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to read and interpret client provided documents and statements and understand procedures.
- Current Florida driver’s license and a vehicle with appropriate insurance coverage if required to drive in the course of performing assigned duties and responsibilities.
United Way of Brevard is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive salary, a learning environment, and employee benefits to include health insurance, paid holidays, paid time off, and a retirement plan. Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. United Way of Brevard reserves the right to change this position description at any time according to business needs.
United Way Core Competencies For All Staff
- Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
- Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
- Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
- Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.
About Brevard County, Florida
Brevard County, Florida, also known as Florida’s Space Coast, is a groundbreaking region along the east coast of the Sunshine State. Home to the world-famous launch pads of Kennedy Space Center and Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Brevard County’s rich history is built upon generations of high-tech talent, yet boasts a small-town community feel where members can truly make a difference. With an abundance of amenities for the right work-life balance, Florida’s Space Coast offers a unique lifestyle with tropical weather, cultural activities, educational opportunities, year-round outdoor recreation, and a family-friendly atmosphere. Even the world's most significant vacation playground is just a short ride, which means you can get annual passes for endless access to the thrills and off-season crowds at Orlando theme parks and attractions, all while enjoying the relaxed oceanside community that has sent man to the moon, and continues to launch advances for humankind. You can learn more about the endless lifestyle options found here, at www.LiveBigSpaceCoast.com