United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County
TITLE: 211 Call Specialist
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Call Center Manager, 211
EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-Exempt
DATE POSTED: 1/12/2022
JOB LOCATION: San Antonio, Texas
United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County is dedicated to improving people’s lives by helping individuals and creating community-level change. Our work includes leading cross-sector collaborations, advocating for public policy changes, and investing in programs and initiatives that help those in need and prevent problems from happening in the first place. Improving quality of life and advancing the greater good involves focusing in four Impact areas: 1) preparing children for kindergarten 2) encouraging students to graduate and reach their full potential 3) helping individuals and families become self-sufficient, and 4) providing a safety net of services for those in crisis.
Using motivational interviewing 2-1-1 Call Specialists effectively identify needs and provide comprehensive information & referral, stabilization, and crisis intervention services to callers and community members via telephone, face-to-face, and written communication.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
Direct Information & Referral (I&R) Service Provision
- Provide exceptional customer service as first point of contact with the United Way of San Antonio & Bexar County’s 2-1-1 by providing comprehensive information & referral services and crisis intervention services as necessary
- Provide thorough, appropriate, and helpful referrals, information, and/or intervention services to address the caller’s need(s)
- Establish clear and effective communication using good contact techniques and active listening in a non-judgmental way
- Accurately assess caller’s needs and engage in collaborative problem solving to prioritize and develop an action plan without offering advice or opinions
- Provide follow-up and advocacy services as necessary to community members
- Respect and maintain client confidentiality; follow all agency and program guidelines regarding confidentiality
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to work with difficult callers or calls using accepted techniques and principles
- Use technology (CISCO, VOIP, & live chat) to interact with clients
- Demonstrate a commitment to the UWSA mission statement and Code of Ethics in all interactions with coworkers and constituents
Crisis Intervention Services
- Provides crisis intervention services by assisting the client to move from an emotional state to a cognitive state, and creating safety plans as needed
- Provides crisis intervention services telephonically, face-to-face, and at outreach events as necessary
Service Utilization Documentation
- Conduct complete and accurate interviews and capture all required data into I&R software(s) at 95% accuracy/completion rate
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High School diploma/GED required.
- Associate degree in a human service-related field OR minimum one-year experience in customer service and crisis intervention experience in lieu of degree
- Ability to work effectively under stress. Maintains productivity and composure under pressure.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Adapts readily to changes
- Ability to use good judgment and assessment techniques.
- Employer-subsidized healthcare plan with employer-funded HRA offered
- Group dental, vision, life insurance and other insurance products available
- Paid holidays, volunteer, days, personal days and sick leave time
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer matching available
- Normal office environment with little exposure to dust, noise and extreme temperatures.
- Reliable personal transportation required.
- Exposure to glare from a computer.
- Weekend and evening hours required
- Work remotely as indicated by environmental factors, such as COVID-19
- Lift or move up to 20 lbs
- Stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
SPECIAL SKILLS / INFORMATION
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by associates assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed. The contents of this job description may change as deemed necessary by United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County.
To submit your application visit http://bit.ly/uwsajobs.
- Applications WILL NOT be accepted via email.
- Contact email@example.com should you experience problems submitting your application.
United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
United Way of San Antonio and Bexar County | 700 South Alamo St., San Antonio TX, 78205 | www.unitedwaysatx.org