2-1-1 Health and Human Services Navigator
Job Title: 2-1-1 Health and Human Services Navigator
Agency: United Way of the Bluegrass
Department: Community Impact
Reports to: Manager, 2-1-1 Operations
Collaborative Relationships: Resource Specialist; 2-1-1 Advisory Council; Community Impact Cabinet; External Grant Partners; Future Internal Programs; RSVP: Trailblazers; UWBG Funded Partner Agencies; Volunteer Center; Resource Development and Marketing Departments
Position Description: The role of the 2-1-1 Health and Human Services Navigator is to connect individuals and organizations to community resources and volunteer opportunities.
- Answer phones, e-mails, faxes and walk-ins to identify/assess needs of inquirer
- Respond to each inquirer in a professional, non-judgmental and culturally-appropriate manner, providing accurate information enabling the inquirer to choose the most appropriate resource(s)
- Advocate for inquirer, when appropriate
- Record service information for use in reports
- Knowledgeable of human service system and maintain cooperative working relationships with area service providers
- Communicate changes in program services to United Way staff and volunteers
- Represents United Way of the Bluegrass at meetings, events, presentations, and other such activities as requested or required
- Attends and participates in All Staff Meetings depending on staff coverage.
- Assists in development and follow through of department work plan.
- Assures uninterrupted day-to-day operations.
- Makes presentations to community groups to promote United Way and its work
- Supports the fundraising efforts of United Way of the Bluegrass
- Provides support of all Community Investment functions
- Provides staff support at United Way functions and events
- Acts as staff lead on new projects as assigned.
- Other Duties as Assigned
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience preferred
- Minimum of 1-3 years related experience in human service, non-profit, or other related field preferred or sufficient combination of education and experience.
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong time-management skills
- Ability to actively listen and respond to people in need.
- A positive commitment and ability to work with people from diverse educational and cultural backgrounds.
- Respect traditions, values and/or lifestyles of different ethno-cultural groups.
- Be open and flexible in communication with special populations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Effective problem solver and decision maker
- Computer proficiency: MS Office Suite; database knowledge a plus
Salary and Benefits
Salary for this position is $30,000 - $33,000 depending on experience, knowledge and skill. United Way of Bluegrass provides an array of benefits including health insurance, paid time off and a 401k retirement plan among others.
Valid Kentucky driver’s license required as well as access to reliable insured automobile to be used for work-related travel in the Central Kentucky area.
Must be willing to occasionally work non-standard work schedule when required, including nights, weekends and other unusual hours.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “2-1-1” in the subject line or mail to United Way of the Bluegrass, Attn: Human Resources, 100 Midland Avenue, Suite 300, Lexington, KY 40508. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
Note: The description given is intended only to provide information about the general nature of the job and is not an all-inclusive list of the job duties, skills or abilities which may change.