PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The 2-1-1 Contact Specialist will work with the UWSK 2-1-1 Contact Center staff to provide information, assistance, and referrals to professionals and private persons who are interested in and need help navigating the 10-county region’s available system of health and human services resources. The focus of the position is to assist individuals with problems to find the most adequate solution available, while collecting and recording data on service usage, availability, and referral outcomes. Identifies needs and provides information about appropriate resources to include aiding individuals in crisis and those seeking volunteer opportunities.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- In a call/contact center environment, receive telephone calls and communications via other channels from individuals seeking information and assistance to solve their health and human service needs. Interview inquirers to fully assess their situations; search the resource database and other sources to determine what assistance may be available. Provide inquirers with specific detailed information on accessing public and private resources. Conduct follow-up calls and advocacy as appropriate, especially for those inquirers who are incapacitated by age, physical or mental illness or handicap, or who are otherwise unable to communicate with various service delivery systems effectively. Record detailed contact information in computerized transaction database.
- Collect and record data on community agencies, programs, and service providers, and otherwise assist in developing and maintaining the 2-1-1 resource database.
- Acquire and provide ongoing staff education by doing assigned and/or appropriate reading, participation in regular staff meetings, attending training and/or workshops, writing reports on meetings attended and maintaining a network of communication with UWSK staff.
- Work assigned shift as scheduled, but available in times of community disaster and emergency crisis situations to provide accurate and reliable information to inquirers.
- Perform customer service surveys and track gaps in community services/resources.
- Meet call volume and quality standards (KPI’s). Prepare for and pass the professional certification exam (CIRS) offered by the National Alliance of Information and Referral Systems (AIRS) as determined by management. Adhere to AIRS standards when performing all job functions.
- Protect consumer and client confidentiality by discussing all concerns and reactions only with designated agency employees, and within the physical confines of UWSK offices, unless otherwise approved by the inquirer, agency, or defined by state and federal laws.
- Develop and maintain proficiency in use of all computer, telephone, and contact center equipment and software.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned by 2-1-1 Contact Center Director.
- Reports directly to the 2-1-1 Contact Center Director
- Collaborates with all UWSK staff in team environment
- Develops and maintains channels of communication with personnel of agencies listed in the 2-1-1 resource database
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- High school diploma required, with some college coursework in communications preferred. Prior work experience in non-profit/human service field and previous experience in social service interviewing is desirable.
- Ability to read, write, and speak English. Fluency in other languages a plus.
- Effective verbal communication and active listening skills. Ability to react calmly, appropriately, and accurately in crisis situations.
- Ability to respond appropriately to the cultural, ethnic, religious, and personal differences present among the service population.
- Proficiency in computer keyboard entry and use of Microsoft Office programs.
- Basic knowledge of social service system, governmental bodies, and geography of the regional service area.
- Ability to use call center telephony equipment, perform searches, and enter data while speaking with callers.
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
- Customer Relations
- Results Orientation
- Problem Solving
- Technical Expertise
- Accountability/Brand Stewardship