When uploading your job description, be sure to include the following areas:
At United Way of Northeast Florida, we envision a community of opportunity where everyone has hope and can reach their full potential. Our mission is to solve our community’s toughest challenges by connecting people, resources and ideas.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Through active listening, effectively identify and connect people in need to available community resources while demonstrating respect and compassion. Call Center Specialists may be called upon to de-escalate stressful situations, as well as serve as the first point of contact for crisis calls including callers demonstrating suicidal ideology. Specialists may also be involved in follow up communications, intake for specialized programs or services, outbound calls, basic database maintenance and community outreach.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Establish clear and effective communication using good contact techniques and active listening in a non-judgmental way.
- Accurately assess caller’s needs and engage in collaborative problem solving to prioritize and develop an action plan without offering advice or opinions.
- Provide thorough, appropriate, and helpful referrals, information, and/or intervention services to address the caller’s need(s).
- Help caller address any perceived barriers or challenges to getting assistance.
- Offer honest information regarding services or programs that may not exist in our community. Discuss alternatives, if possible.
- Use direct intervention and advocacy when needed as agreed to by the caller.
- Conduct complete and accurate interviews and capture all required data into I&R software(s).
- Respect and maintain client confidentiality; follow all agency and program guidelines regarding confidentiality.
- If a client is in a crisis, life-threatening or suicidal situation, assist the client to move from an emotional state to a cognitive state.
- Demonstrate a willingness and ability to work with difficult callers or calls using accepted techniques and principles.
- After proper Suicide Intervention/Prevention training, be able to answer suicide calls in addition to I&R calls.
- Develop and practice individual self-care plans.
- Follow up on referral cases or other inquires as needed
- Demonstrate a desire to improve with active and open participation in quality assurance program.
- Participate in staff development and trainings sessions as assigned.
- Perform related tasks as required and assigned by United Way of Northeast Florida.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the United Way mission statement and Code of Ethics in all interactions with coworkers and constituents.
- Applicant should possess a motivation to help people, a non-judgmental attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, and an ability to empathize.
- High School diploma/GED required. Bachelor’s degree preferred with minimum 1-year experience in the human services or customer service fields with complaint resolution.
- Inbound call experience or prior information and referral experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of computer equipment, phones, various software programs and resource file.
- Ability to work effectively under stress.
- Ability to use good judgment and assessment techniques.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work variable shifts. (For example: variable shifts Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Part-time staff will work designated shifts as assigned.)
- Overtime as assigned.
UNITED WAY CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL STAFF
● Mission-Focused: Catalyze others’ commitment to mission to create real social change that leads to better lives and healthier communities. This drives their performance and professional motivations.
● Relationship-Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships toward a common goal.
● Collaborator: understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
● Results-Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
● Brand Steward: Steward of the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater network.